Thyroid surgery: Observation
When is observation indicated?
Not all patients with thyroid nodules require an operation. However, a patient must have reliable follow-up in order to be observed. Patients with the following findings may be considered for observation:
- Small benign-appearing nodule on ultrasound
- Benign nodule on FNAFNA - fine needle aspiration biopsy biopsy
- Non-diagnostic FNA biopsy with benign ultrasound features
- Multiple nodules with benign ultrasound features and FNA biopsy of the main nodule that is consistent with a benign nodule
- Small follicular neoplasmFollicular neoplasm - follicular cell tumor (benign or malignant) that is "hot" on a radioiodine scan